Release the cow...

It all began when I had my first Big Mac back when I was about 6 years old. By the time I was 13, I was definitely a fast food burger pro eating 2 or 3 of the biggest burgers anywhere I went. This macho-esque form of proving my manhood eventually got out of control and in University at a dorm party I was humbled after trying to eat 10 Big Macs... That was the day I would retire from the "let's-see-how-many-burgers-I-can-stuff-into-my-body" days. But something beautiful came out of this... not so long later, I would discover the ability to relax and enjoy the burger for all that it's worth... and now I want to share this with everyone.

Since mainstreetcoffee.blogspot.com was such a success even though I have very little coffee experience, the Vancouver Hamburger Hunt should easily be my masterpiece. It will be very simple, I will go out and eat burgers and share with you all that is burger...

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Vera's Burger Shack (2922 Main St.)

Following the hype… why wouldn’t I go to the next burger joint that seems to be popping up all over map… Vera’s Burger Shack. I like the name. Even though I would have preferred just “Burger Shack”. But maybe I will like it if I knew something about this person Vera.
So… who is Vera?
Well she and her hubby Frank had this burger joint on the beach way back in the 70s. Props… I hella like the beach and I do appreciate mom and pop shacks. However since the 70s, this place was passed down to the grandkids and probably lazily given up to some guy named Noah, who I am assuming is some corporate hot shot trying to take advantage of the reputation of love and family constructed by Vera’s family. Let’s see how well the love still shows through.

Well, it’s Sunday again and Steve and I decided to refuel our energy after another Sunday afternoon hockey game. We tied 2-2. But we did good. Steve and I connected on a beautiful give and go play around the defence on a 2 on 1 to tie the game with just a few minutes left. We let this guy Ryan come along since he potted the first goal. Ryan proved worthy to bring along on this trip as he is a little different then the rest of us, so it was interesting to see his results at Vera’s would be. See… Ryan not only sings “I am the Warrior” by Pat Benetar while taping his hockey stick, but he is also a vegetarian. So how disappointed we all were when Vera’s told him that they were out of veggie patties. Ha ha... this is what you get for insinuating that I am a fairy for playing rollerhockey... you have to settle for some poutine. He liked it even though I thought it kinda looked like a vagina after sex. But I did get some insight out of him... he explained that if Vera and Frank were running the show, they would have probably picked up some Money’s Mushroom burgers across the street at the IGA. Good call… I bet you they would have tried to make sure they don't alienate the few choosies out there.

Steve and I were very happy with our BIG BEEFY Burgers. They were just regular burgers with the works, but we both agreed that the reason they get props was because they were very saucy. The bun was much better that what I remembered at Splitz… and the meat was no different from what you would cook on your BBQ at home... but that means really good if you didn't pick that up last week. However if you take a look at the web site www.verasburgershack.com, they show quite a mean burger that I just didn’t see. Just once I would love for a burger to look the way it is advertised. If you own a burger joint and want to prove that this can come true… send me a pic and I will come!

The atmosphere was good. They were playing a CD instead of the radio. I think it was Amy Winehouse but none of her tunes are sampled on the internet. Oh well, I guess I will just have to download her discography which you can all find here…
http://www.fulldls.com/torrent-albums-880539.html

$15.49 for a burger, beer and fries... a little pricy

Report Card
Burger – A
Joint – B
Price – C
Management – D

Ps… that’s just a coincidence

No comments: